When it comes to encouraging your little one’s inner artist, getting the right drawing table can transform chaotic scribbles at the kitchen table into focused creative playtime. You want a surface just their size that can handle markers, paints, and more without making a colorful mess of your home. With so many options to choose from, how do you pick the perfect kids’ art table?
This article will help you find one tailored to your child’s age and interests, whether they love coloring, sculpting, or just making a beautiful mess. We’ll talk features to look for by age, surface types that are easy to clean, and storage must-haves to inspire your kid’s creativity while keeping crayons from ending up in the couch cushions.
Why Kids Drawing Tables Are Great for Creative Play
Kids drawing tables offer a dedicated space for your aspiring little artist to let their creativity run wild. Here’s why they can be a great addition for creative playtime:
- Fosters imagination. A blank canvas sparks imagination and gives kids the freedom to draw whatever they dream up, without worrying about staying inside the lines of a coloring book.
- Encourages experimentation. Drawing tables provide a safe space for kids to test out art supplies and try new techniques. From crayons to paint, there’s room for creative experimenting.
- Develops fine motor skills. Using pencils, markers, and paintbrushes helps strengthen little hands. Tracing shapes and figures is great occupational therapy practice.
- Allows focus. Children can really concentrate on art projects without distraction at their own pint-sized table and chairs. This builds attention span.
- Promotes independence. Kids can take charge of their own creative space—setting up supplies, choosing subjects, and designing masterpieces at their own pace.
- Portable for indoor/outdoor use. Many kids’ art tables easily fold up with carrying handles to move the creativity outside or different rooms.
- Built just for them. Low tables sized for kids help them sit up straight and engage fully without getting tired. Storage keeps supplies organized and within reach.
With the right setup, drawing tables let kids take the lead on channeling their inner Picasso, boosting confidence and skills through artistic play. Let those colorful creations begin!
Top Features to Look for in the Best Kids Drawing Tables
When shopping for the perfect drawing table for your little artist, there are a few key features you want to keep in mind.
- Adjustable Height – An adjustable height table allows you to raise or lower the work surface so it’s always at the right level for your child. Look for one with multiple height settings or an easily adjustable crank handle.
- Spacious Workspace – Make sure the tabletop provides ample room for materials, sketchbooks, coloring books and all your kid’s creative endeavors. Bigger is usually better when it comes to work area.
- Storage – Built-in storage like shelves, cabinets or bins helps keep all those art supplies and loose papers organized and easily accessible when inspiration strikes.
- Durability – Opt for thick, sturdy table legs, joints and surface materials (like wood or plastic laminate) that can withstand active kids using markers, paint and more. Easy-clean surfaces are a plus too.
- Portability – If space is limited, look for a compact table with lockable casters so it can easily roll out of the way or to wherever your kid wants to create.
- Creativity Boosters – From whiteboard-style surfaces great for dry erase markers to clip-on desk lamps perfect for illuminating masterpieces, little details can make all the difference.
Finding a drawing table equipped with most or all of these useful features will lead to countless hours of artistic fun and creativity for your budding artist. And be sure to add in some comfy seating for you to admire their handiwork!
Our Reviews of the Top 5 Kids Drawing Tables on the Market
After much research and testing, we’ve narrowed down dozens of kid’s drawing tables to the top five that provide the best value, durability, features and ease of use for creative little artists.
This wooden easel is built to last for years of creative play. The large work surface flips from a chalkboard to whiteboard, and it comes with supplies to get your kid started. We love the easy-to-clean surface and the storage rack for art tools. Great for ages 3 and up.
KidKraft makes our favorite two-sided easel, with a chalkboard on one side and whiteboard on the other. It’s sized perfectly for kids and has a generous storage drawer and bins to keep supplies handy. We especially like the easy-to-move design with locking wheels.
Step2 Great Creative Station Art Center
For the ultimate art station, it’s hard to beat the Step2 Great Creative Station. This has it all—easels, storage, molded-in cups and slots for brushes, scissors and markers. Large enough for multiple kids to work together. Made of durable plastic that parents say has lasted years.
Melissa & Doug Deluxe Standing Art Easel with Accessories
Similar to the basic Melissa & Doug easel above but loaded with vibrant paint pots, brushes, chalk, stamps and more—over 20 art tools and supplies to fuel creativity. We love the all-inclusive art set packaged neatly into one easel kids will love using. Great gift idea.
Kid Made Modern Mini Artist Studio Pro Easel
For a compact, portable kid’s easel, we like the Kid Made Modern Mini Artist Studio Pro. It folds up for storage and travel, plus comes with a carry handle and built-in storage. Despite its small size, there’s still room for more than one mini Matisse to create.
We hope these reviews help you find the perfect kids’ drawing table to spark your child’s inner Picasso! Let us know if you have any other questions.
Creative Spaces: Personalizing the Drawing Area
Giving your little artist a space to call their own can inspire creativity and make drawing time even more fun. When setting up an art station for kids, keep these tips in mind:
- Let them take ownership. Allow your child to decorate the area with their own drawings, favorite coloring pages, handmade cards, and more. Having their works displayed front and center will make them beam with pride.
- Store supplies within reach. Invest in an art caddy, desktop organizer or storage containers to corral markers, crayons, pencils, erasers and other must-have tools. Your mini Matisse will enjoy having quick access to exactly what they need for any project.
- Add special touches. Incorporate a personalized pencil cup or jewelry box to hold smaller items like gems, pom poms and googly eyes for embellishing masterpieces. A decorative name plate can also make the spot seem extra special.
- Offer storage and display space. Hang a bulletin board or magnetic whiteboard to show off new pieces or works-in-progress. Have bins, shelves or a small cabinet for unfinished projects, sketch pads and backup supplies.
- Allow for messes. Cover the surface with washable blotting paper or use a plastic tablecloth so you don’t have to worry about spills and drips. Embrace the chaos of creativity – it’s all part of childhood!
Giving your aspiring artist a well-stocked, personalized nook they can truly call their own workspace will let their inner Picasso shine. Displaying finished pieces also promotes self-confidence. Adjust storage and organization over time as skills progress. Most importantly, let them take the lead based on their interests.
So that wraps up our picks for the best drawing tables for kids! Hopefully you have a better idea of what will work for your little artist’s needs and space. Getting them set up with a dedicated art zone all their own is a great way to unlock their creativity. And who knows, maybe you’ll end up with the next Picasso! Just remember that it’s not about making perfect drawings at this age – fun and exploration should be the focus. As long as they’re enjoying expressing themselves, it’s a win. Let those fridge galleries fill up and don’t forget the words of encouragement. Now get ready for a wonderfully colorful mess!