Have a bunch of boring old knobs on your kitchen drawers and cabinets? Make them fun for the kids with these easy DIY drawer pulls they can design themselves. All you need is wooden shapes, craft paint, and some creativity to let them create their own works of art. It’s an afternoon of crafting that results in a totally custom set of hardware they’ll love to show off.
In 100 words or less, let’s walk through making drawer pulls as unique as your kids using materials you likely have around the house already.
What Are Kids Draw Pulls?
Kids draw pulls are a fun and creative project you can make with your kids!
- They are basically handle pulls attached to cabinet doors that allow kids to decorate or draw right on them.
- This gives kids their own special space to personalize and make their mark on the kitchen.
Why Make Them?
There are lots of great reasons to create DIY kids draw pulls:
- Keeps kids entertained – gives them a designated place to color, doodle, and create.
- Avoids having kids draw unwanted “art” elsewhere.
- Allows them to customize their space.
- Easy project for a rainy day.
- Inexpensive way to upgrade kitchen.
- Pulls can be erased and redrawn when they want a change.
- Makes the kitchen more kid-friendly.
What You’ll Need
To DIY your own kids draw pulls you’ll need:
- Cabinet door handles/pulls
- Acrylic paint pens and/or crayons
- Adhesive vinyl
- Craft knife
The basic method is to cover standard hardware pulls with vinyl sticker sheets for a nice drawing surface, then attach to cabinet doors. But feel free to get creative with materials – the options are endless!
Once installed, kids can go to town decorating them however they wish. Some ideas to try:
- Draw their self portrait
- Create funky patterns and shapes
- Doodle their favorite TV characters
- Design a special logo
- And much more!
Let their imagination run wild on their own mini art canvases. Change it up whenever they want something new.
How to Make Your Own DIY Kids Draw Pulls
Making your own custom drawer pulls for your kids’ dressers or cabinets is an easy DIY project that allows you to add a personalized touch. Follow these simple steps to create unique hardware they will love:
- First, gather your materials. You’ll need decorative paper or scrapbook paper, scissors, a pencil, craft glue, ribbon, and wooden knobs. Choose fun patterns or your child’s favorite colors.
- Next, trace the round part of the knob onto paper and cut out the circles. Make multiple paper circles so you have extras.
- Apply craft glue to the back of the paper circles. Then press them firmly onto the flat front of the wooden knobs.
- After the glue dries completely, tie ribbons around the knob shaft to finish them off. Knot the ribbons at the back or string beads onto them first for more decoration.
- Once done customizing the knobs, all that’s left is to screw them onto dresser drawers, cabinets, or any place your mini interior designers would like to jazz up!
Some ideas to personalize kids draw pulls even further:
- Decoupage with cut-outs from magazines or comics
- Use printable iron-on transfer paper for photos or designs
- Stencil names, initials, or fun shapes with paint pens
- Glue on buttons, fake gems, game pieces or other small trinkets
Encourage your kids to let their creativity run wild when designing their own hardware. The options are endless for these simple yet fun DIY drawer pulls!
Fun Ideas and Tips for Using Kids Draw Pulls
Kids draw pulls are a great way to get your little ones’ creative juices flowing and decorate their space at the same time! With these handy hardware pieces, your kids can display their artwork right on their dressers or closets.
- Let them go wild making their own custom pulls with markers, crayons, paint, or whatever craft materials they have on hand. Encourage them to make different designs for each season or holiday.
- Make it a family project for a fun bonding activity. Have a “pull decorating party” where everyone can personalize their bedroom door pulls.
- Use puffy paint or glitter glue to add some extra texture and dimension.
- Attach ribbons, pom poms, googly eyes or other embellishments with hot glue for even more pizzazz. The options are endless!
- Switch up the pulls every so often to showcase new masterpieces. It will keep things looking fresh.
- Consider coordinating colors with their room décor for a pulled-together look. Or intentionally clash colors for a fun, eclectic style if they prefer.
- If worried about mess, lay down some newspaper or do the crafting outside to contain the chaos. The end result makes it worthwhile!
- Seal with a clear acrylic spray once finished decorating to help preserve and protect their adorable artwork over time.
- Display both the front and back sides of pulls, mounted together, for a reversible design effect.
Unleashing those creative juices on their own functional bedroom hardware gives kids pride and ownership over decorating their space. With a little imagination, the possibilities are endless for making these basic hardware pulls into miniature canvases showcasing your child’s one-of-a-kind style.
In conclusion, creating your own Kids Draw Pulls can be a fantastic DIY project that not only adds a personalized touch to your child’s furniture but also provides a fun and engaging activity for both kids and parents. By utilizing simple materials and following step-by-step instructions, you can easily customize drawer pulls that reflect your child’s unique style and interests. Encouraging creativity and fostering a sense of accomplishment, this DIY project is a great way to spend quality time with your little ones while enhancing the aesthetics and functionality of their space. So why not embark on this creative journey and let your child’s imagination shine through with their very own handmade Kids Draw Pulls?